Games

Thursday, June 4, 2020

Eloquence, truth and poetry vs Reality TV scripts.



image from Obama.org
O Captain! My Captain! I know you are not dead, as Walt Whitman wrote of Abraham Lincoln.  But its been feeling this way since Obama left office, the absence of a leader, and we watch the country sink while at the helm of a captain-less ship.  In this time of darkness and despair, Barak Obama returns to speak some words of sanity and wisdom at a Town Hall put on by his foundation last night. My Brothers Keeper.  Just the name of his organization is eloquent.


The phrase from Genesis 4:9 in the King James Bible-according to the one given to me at my confirmation with an inscription by Dr. Johnstone Patrick says:  

The Lord said unto Cain, Where is Abel thy brother?  And he said, I know not: Am I my brother's keeper? 

This passage comes directly after Cain kills Abel, and Cain's smart ass reply to god is as good as any spoiled irresponsible child can muster after he's committed the greatest sin.  

The brilliance of the Obama foundations name is that by taking just two words out of Cain's sarcastic sentence (Am I), the title reinstates the responsibility of others onto each individual.  We should all be kind.  People do not become great alone, and need community to survive.

Obama, a salve...to help heal the anger of these last few days.  It's like we have been trapped at a summer camp from hell the last four years, where the director is a racist and the counselors follow orders to inflict pain on the campers.  We are homesick for the safety of a place that no longer exists. Obama is positive we shall get through this, everything will not be solved right away but he has hope.  



So after watching the 90 minute enlightening exchange between leaders of color, I spent some time Obama Binging. Watching clips of him at fundraisers, his commencement speech to the class of 202o, and going back to older speeches during a time of unrest.

I notice most an intelligent man, and I make mental list of words that the Racist Asshole probably can't pronounce, much less know the meaning of.
Words like Apocryphal, Disobedience, Galvanized, Discord, Dwindle.  I realize, as I search for these words in Racist Asshole Trumps speeches, they don't exist. Words that could be found in a high reading level book in any middle school.  Instead, what you find in RAT's speeches are made up dialogue from a Reality TV script written by our Racist Reality TV host.  Quotes actual people may or may not have said, but really doesn't matter because these quotes are so inconsequential.   (another word that he's never used). Reading transcripts of his speeches is literally reading a "he said, she said" comedy script.
Here are some examples of quotes he's pulled out of his ass in his speeches:


  • "She said, she was an Indian, I said, right.  I said 'I have more Indian blood in me than you have and I have none,' and she said. 'Oh this is terrible' "
  • "She said, 'You know there- those two women on the Internet, they're unbelievable, they're unbelievable.'  I said, 'Oh, I know I hear that all the time.' She said 'No' "
  • "I said to our great First Lady, 'First Lady...' I like calling her First Lady,  She said, 'It's okay,  you can call me Melania' "
  • "I said, 'Who's going to win?', he said, 'Honestly sir, it doesn't matter.' "


During last night's Town Hall, Obama mentions James Baldwin Fire Next Time which gave voice to the civil rights movement. And in his one moment of disguised pessimism, he says, "During this week, I picked up and reread James Baldwin's Fire Next Time.  It is frightening to notice how James Baldwin can lay out a reality 50 years ago that sounds like it was written yesterday."

The Game: RAT Edit. additional rules:  
Playing for points:
This is a non competitive game.  
However, you can vote on who has the most eloquent rewrite for points. You can also go back to this website and do a word search, for any words you used that RAT has not.  For every word you've used that RAT hasn't, you get 10 points.

1 comment:

  1. thank you for these thoughts and comparisons - they are bracing.

    ReplyDelete

Awesome Artists in my Life!

IANTHE JACKSON So during the last 18 months, the community of artists helped me to focus.   Ianthe Jackson, an  artist who I've known fr...